Education resources and activities
IODP provides a vast amount of scientific information that is of interest to students, teachers (see IODP Education). As all IODP educational activities are conducted at a national level to meet local curricula standards, teachers, educators and students from ECORD member countries are encouraged to contact ESSAC via the ESSAC Office and ESSAC delegates to participate.
ECORD/IODP education resources and activities made available for educators and students are listed below.
Educators in Portugal present IODP core replicas to the classroom.
Drillship DP Hunter during the Tahiti Sea Level expedition. (© ECORD/IODP)
- ECORD Summer Schools: since 2007 ECORD sponsors summer schools and provide students with scholarships.
- Teacher at Sea: berths for educators are opened for expeditions onboard the JOIDES Resolution.
- ECORD School of Rock: since 2014 ECORD Teachers who took part in IODP expedition organise a workshop for teachers in their home country.
Urbino Summer School 2011.
Bremen ECORD Summer School 2011 (photo Marum).
- ECORD Summer Schools - reports written by awarded ECORD students are published in the ECORD Newsletter:
- 2015 - 12th Urbino & Bremen on Ocean Crust Processes
- 2014 - 11th Urbino & Bremen on Subseafloor Deep Biosphere
- 2013 - 10th Urbino & Bremen on Deep-Sea Sediments
- 2012 - 9th Urbino & Breme on Submarine Hazards
- 2011 - 8th Urbino & Bremen on Subseafloor Fluid Flow and Gas Hydrates
- 2010 - 7th Urbino & Bremen on Past Climate Changes
- 2009 - 6th Urbino & Bremen on Mid-Ocean Ridges
- 2008 - 5th Urbino & Breme on Deep Subseafloor Biosphere
- 2007 - 4th Urbino & Bremen on Paleoceanography
- ECORD Teachers at sea - onboard MSP and JOIDES Resolution
- Marion Burgio (France) & Lucas Kavanagh (Canada) - SW Indian Ridge Lower Crust ad Moho Exp 360 - report
- Michèle Darrieu (France-Belgium) - Maldives Monsoon Exp 359- report
- Diane Hanano (Canada) - Bengal Fan Exp 354
- Markus Fingerle (Germany) - iMonsoon Exp 353
- Lesley Allen (UK) - IBM Rear Arc Exp 350
- Jean-Luc Bérenguer (France) & Susan Gebbels (UK) - Hess Deep Exp 345 - report
- Helder Pereira (Portugal) - Mediterranean Outflow Exp 339 - report
- Brigitte Thieberge and Jean-Marie Gautier (France) - Juan de Fuca Exp 327
- Erik Zetterberg (Sweden) - Arctic Coring Exp 302 - report
- Hannes von der Fecht (photograph) - Arctic Coring Exp 302 - Journey into the ice
- School of Rock (SOR): a hands-on and research-based expedition onboard the JOIDES Resolution organised by the Deep-Earth Academy. ECORD Teachers took part in:
- SOR 2013 - Jane Londero and Sarah Thornton (Canada) - report
- SOR 2011 - Jean Luc Bérenguer (France) - report
- SOR 2010 - David Edwards (United Kingdom) and Jean Noel Puig (France)
- SOR 2009 - Jean-Luc Bérenguer (France) and Helder Pereira (Portugal) - report
- Educational activities developed during portcalls - Public lectures and guided tours of the drillships were organised during:
- S Alaska Margin Exp 341, JOIDES Resolution, Victoria - IODP Canada - report
- Mediterranean Outflow Exp 339, JOIDES Resolution, Ponta Delgada and Lisbon - IODP Portugal, Helder Pereira and Antje Voelker - report
- Tahiti Sea-Level Expedition 310, DP Hunter, Papeete, Tahiti
- Educational activities at schools & public events:
|ECORD School of Rock 2014 (J.L. Bérenguer).
Live video broadcast during Exp 335 (J.L. Bérenguer).
Arctic Coring Expedition (photo H. van der Fecht).
Portcall in Lisbon after Exp. 339 (photo John Beck).