The European Geosciences Union General Assembly 2010 met in Vienna, Austria, from 2 to 7 May 2010, at the Austria Vienna Centre.
Integrated Ocean Drilling Program (IODP)and the International Continental Scientific Drilling Program (ICDP) support projects with a need in scientific drilling. For the first time, ECORD presented IODP along with ICDP at EGU 2010 - 2 to 7 May to get together the scientific drilling community.
All activities listed below are organised by ECORD and ICDP and supported by IODP-MI, CDEX-JAMSTEC and IODP-USIO.
>> EGU 2010 web site
|:: Joint IODP-ICDP Booth #55-57-58: a L-shape and 18 sqm booth, located in the exhibition/entrance hall was opened from 3 to 6 May. Many scientists visited the booth to learn about the expeditions and projects, to watch the CoreWall demonstrations, to meet the scientists and to collect materials and information from both programmes.
|:: IODP-ICDP Townhall Meeting, 4 May, Convenors: Catherine Mével (ECORD) and Ulrich Harms (ICDP)
The recent scientific achievements and upcoming new projects addressing key scientific questions such as climate dynamics and geological hazards through earthquakes, landslides and volcanic eruptions were presented.
:: IODP-related media conferences, 5 May 2010
>> Contact: Albert Gerdes
>> Watch the webcasts on: http://www.egu-media.net/content/view/212/81/
:: EGU sessions related to IODP and ICDP:
- Interdivision session CL4.9/SSP1.7 EuroFORUM 2010: Achievements and perspectives in scientific ocean and continental drilling (co-organized)
Convener: Ruediger Stein | Co-Conveners: Gilbert Camoin, Jochen Erbacher, Henk Brinkhuis, Ulrich Harms, Ursula Röhl
- CL1.3 Cenozoic Antarctic and Southern Ocean Climate Evolution
Convener: Fabio Florindo
Co-Conveners: David Harwood, Carlota Escutia Dotti
- CL1.5 Dynamics of the Greenhouse - Icehouse transition
Convener: Henk Brinkhuis | Co-Conveners: Robert DeConto, Steven Bohaty, Gert-Jan Reichart
- CL1.14 Assessment of climate events in lake sediments: deciphering climate, tectonic or anthropic influence
Convener: Nathalie Fagel | Co-Conveners: Marie-France Loutre, Aurelia Hubert-Ferrari
- CL4.8 Glaciated continental margins - sedimentary processes, architecture, evolution and implications for paleoclimatic reconstructions
Convener: Jan Sverre Laberg | Co-Conveners: Angelo Camerlenghi, Michele Rebesco, Berit Oline Hjelstuen
- GI8 Down-hole and polar regions Instrumentation: Technology and Applications
Convener: Philippe Gaillot | Co-Conveners: Bernard Celerier, Jochem Kück, Sarah Davies, David Meldrum, Mike Rose
- EG1 Integrated Science Planning between European Research Infrastructures
Convener: Lester Lembke-Jene | Co-Conveners: Roberto Azzolini, Paul Egerton
- OS15 European Collaboration for Implementation of Marine Research on Cores (ESF EUROCORES Programmes)
Convener: Jean Pierre Henriet | Co-Conveners: Gert J. De Lange, Gilbert Camoin, Paola Campus
Seafloor expression of tectonic and geomorphic processes
Convener: Sebastian Krastel | Co-Conveners: Neil Mitchell, Dina Vachtman, Colin Jacob
Observing the European plate: Sensor networks and data infrastructures
Fluid flow in continental margins
Nature and evolution of the lithospheric mantle - inferences on magma genesis
- MPRG9 Paleosecular variation and paleointensity records from baked earth, lavas and sediments: geomagnetic and chronological implications.
- US2 Large Infrastructures in the Geosciences (by invitation only)
Convener: John Ludden | Co-Conveners: Massimo Cocco, Sylvie Joussaume
- EOS2 Science in tomorrow’s classroom
Convener: Phil Smith | Co-Conveners: Stephen Macko, Annegret Schwarz, Jean-Luc Berenguer, Eve Arnold, Angelo Camerlenghi