The ECORD Facility Board (EFB) is the key planning forum for the mission-specific platform (MSP) expeditions operated by ECORD as part of IODP.
Tasks and Interactions
- Determining the operations schedule for mission-specific platform expeditions to implement high-priority science proposals forwarded by SEP and based upon science priorities, optimal geographic distribution and costs;
- Approving the expedition section of the Annual ECORD Plan, including MSP operations schedule, data management, publications, core curation and engineering and scientific technical development;
- Reviewing all aspects (science, operations, funding, outreach) related to the MSP expeditions in a year after their implementation;
- Advising on long-term planning of MSP expeditions;
- Issuing guidelines and best practices documents related to the implementation of MSP expeditions.
The EFB is composed of a Science Board, ECORD representatives and representatives from the US National Science Foundation (NSF) and the Japanese Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology (MEXT).
The Science Board of the EFB consists of six leading scientists from any country funding IODP, namely three members from ECORD countries (including the EFB Chair), one US member, one non-US member from the JOIDES Resolution consortium and one Japanese member.
Members of the Science Board are nominated by the ECORD Council based on ESSAC recommendations to serve during three years.
The ECORD Facility Board meets once a year (>> reports).
More information about the mandate, tasks and membership of the EFB can be found in the ECORD Memorandum of Understanding.
|EFB Members – Science Board
|Alexandra Turchyn (Chair)
|Cambridge University, Cambridge, UK
|Rowan University, Glassboro, NJ, USA
|Gabriele Uenzelmann-Neben (Vice-Chair)
|AWI, Bremerhaven, Germany
|University of Sydney, Australia
|OGS, Sgonico, Italy
|EFB Members – ECORD Vision Task Force
|ECORD Council Chair, France
|ECORD Council Vice-Chair, Germany
|ECORD Council Core Group, Italy
|ECORD Council Core Group, UK
|ECORD Council Core Group, Netherlands
|ESSAC Chair, Italy
|EMA Director, France
|ESO Science Manager, UK
|Lisa McNeill, Tim Reston
|Barry Katz, Dieter Strack
|JR Facility Board (JRFB)
|JR Science Operator (JRSO)
|Katerina Petronotis / Mitch Malone
|Chikyu IODP Board (CIB)
|IODP Science Support Office
|ANZIC (Australia-New Zealand)
|KIGAM (South Korea)
|Gil Young Kim
|MoES (India) / IODP India
|Brijesh Bansal / Dhananjai Pandey
|EFB Past Members (Science Board)
|Rice University, USA
|University of Melbourne, Australia
|AWI, Bremerhaven, Germany
|Oregon State University, USA
|University of British Columbia, Canada
|ETH Zurich, Switzerland
|Yale University, New Haven CT, USA