The MagellanPlus Workshop Series Programme is co-funded by ECORD and ICDP and designed to support scientists in developing new and innovative science proposals to meet future challenges in Earth, life and environmental sciences. For this purpose the MagellanPlus Workshop Series Programme funds workshops and/or scientists that are expected to lead to or foster high-quality and innovative scientific drilling proposals for submission to IODP and ICDP.
The programme has one call annually, and also releases special calls when appropriate. Proposals are reviewed by the MagellanPlus Steering Committee (MSC), with the advice of external reviewers where applicable. Proponents will be notified of the outcome within two months following the submission deadline.
Call for MagellanPlus proposals – deadline: 15 January 2020
Proposals should follow the themes of the IODP and ICDP Science Plans and will include complete and realistic scripts for the proposed workshop. A funded workshop must be executed within 12 months after notification of funding. A typical workshop is expected to take place over 2-4 days, and have 20-35 participants. The workshop should be located in an ECORD country, close to a convenient air and/or train hub and have relatively low-cost facilities.
The contribution will not exceed 15,000 € per workshop.
Priority is given to ECORD and ICDP member countries.
The participation of young scientists is particularly encouraged.
In addition to workshop funding, the MagellanPlus Workshop Series Programme supports the participation of ECORD and ICDP scientists in international IODP and ICDP workshops held in other countries. There is no call so proposals for these funds and a request should be submitted by the organisers of the workshop to Lucas Lourens (Chair of MagellanPlus). The proposal will briefly describe the workshop’s aims, agenda and setting and will include a list of ECORD/ICDP member country scientists to be supported, with their CV and motivations to attend the workshop. Travel support will not exceed 1,500 € per scientist and 4,500 € per workshop.
Contact: Lucas Lourens – email@example.com
- EFRAM-ARC Workshop 21-24 January 2020, Trieste, Italy – website – flyer
- COSNICA Workshop 19-20 June 2020, Graz, Austria – website – flyer
Participation: Scientists who are interested to take part in a workshop should contact the convenor (see flyers or links).
- Navigating the IODP Proposal System – for PhD and early-career scientists 24-26 September 2018, Southampton, UK – website – report
- Greenland Ice Sheet evolution revealed by drilling a transect on the Baffin Bay – West Greenland Margin 12-14 September 2018, Copenhagen, Denmark – flyer – report
- Temporal evolution of Arctic gas hydrate and methane seepage systems 4-5 June 2018, Tromsø, Norway – report
- The North Atlantic Igneous Province continental break-up magmatism and impacts on global warming during the Paleogene 29-30 May 2018, Kiel, Germany – More information – report
- Fjord sediment archives in the northeastern North Atlantic 7-8 April 2018, Vienna, Austria – report
- Volcanic, tectonic and hydrothermal processes in an island-arc caldera environment (Santorini-Kolumbo marine volcanic system) 21-23 November 2017, Athens, Greece – report
- Carbon cycling at the ultra-slow Arctic spreading ridge system 6-8 September 2017, Bergen, Norway – report
- Australasian Regional Workshop for building new IODP proposals 13-16 June 2017, Sydney, Australia – report
- Tyrrhenian Magmatism & Mantle Exhumation (TIME) 5-7 June 2017, Bologna, Italy – report
- Caldera Drilling – Campi Flegrei 25-28 February 2017, Naples, Italy – report
- Bend-Fault Serpentinization: Implications for plate dynamics, Earth’s deep carbon and water cycles, and deep life 18-20 June 2016, London, UK – report
- Antarctica’s Cenozoic Ice and Climate History: New science and new challenges of drilling in Antarctic waters 9-11 May 2016, College Station, TX, USA – report
- Brazilian Equatorial Margin – BEM II 30 March 30 – 1 April 2016, Ubatuba, Brazil – report
- Haiti-DRILL: A window to the North Carribean active “sliding doors” fault system through scientific drilling 26-28 October 2015, Rueil-Malmaison, France – report
- Submarine Paleoseismology: Using giant piston coring within IODP to fill the gap in long-term records of great earthquakes 16-18 July 2015, Zurich, Switzerland – report
- Mantle, Water and Life: the ultramafic-hosted Rainbow hydrothermal field 10-12 June 2015, Lyon, France – report
- IMAGE: Investigating Mediterranean-Atlantic Gateway Exchange 5-8 May 2015, Rabat, Morocco – report
- Drilling the Cretaceous Palaeogene Tropical South Atlantic 2-4 February 2015, Newcastle, UK – report
- Newfoundland Drilling for Climate Dynamics: Filling the Oligo-Miocene gap in the North Atlantic 15-17 September 2014, Heidelberg, Germany – report
- Advancing Sub-surface Biosphere and Paleoclimate Research 21-23 August 2014, Seoul, South Korea – report
- Accelerating Neoproterozoic Research through Scientific Drilling March 17-19 2014, Keyworth, UK – report
- BLACKSINK: Black Sea History of the Past 15 Ma 27-28 February 2014, Utrecht, The Netherlands – report
- IODP Drilling within the Corinth Continental Rift, Greece 11-14 February 2014, Athens, Greece – report
- DREAM II: Deep-Sea Record of Mediterranean Messinian Events II 20-23 January 2014, Paris, France – report
- ISOLAT: Integrated Southern Ocean Latitudinal Transects 23-25 September 2013, Cambridge, UK – summary
- DREAM: Deep-Sea Record of Mediterranean Messinian Events 5-8 May 2013, Brisighella, Italy – report
- Advancing our Understanding of Cretaceous Ocean Dynamics by Scientific Ocean Drilling 15-17 April 2013, London, UK – report
Chair: Lucas Lourens (IODP) – firstname.lastname@example.org – Paleoclimate (Cenozoic)
Vice-Chair: Johan Lissenberg (IODP) – Oceanic lithosphere
Stefano Bernasconi (IODP) – Geochemistry
Verena Heuer (IODP) – Deep biosphere
Anne Le Friant (IODP) – Geohazards
Werner Piller (ICDP) – Stratigraphy/Carbonates
Michele Rebesco (IODP) – Seismic stratigraphy/Sedimentology
Marit-Solveig Seidenkrantz (IODP) – Paleoclimate/Paleogeography
Ales Spicak (ICDP) – Seismology
Karsten Haase (IODP) – Marine petrology
Rüdiger Stein (AWI Bremerhaven)
Jochen Erbacher (Chair, BGR)
Reports of Magellan workshops
Reports of the Magellan Workshop Series Programme (2006-2011) are available on the website of the European Science Foundation (ESF).